By Robert L, Chiprang For most starters, the free web hosting offers by hundreds of companies look attractive and many actually started wi...
By Robert L, Chiprang
For most starters, the free web hosting offers by hundreds of companies look attractive and many actually started with these free hosting sites. However, over a period of 6 months to 1 years, many people migrated to paid hosting for various reasons.
We, at Chiprang.com too have experience in both free and paid hosting. While most of our blogs are hosted on blogspot, of course with a custom domain, we do have sites that are self hosted with reputed hosting companies.
The bottom line is, what types of content or niche market your are concentrating will have to be the ultimately decider on whether you should go for a free or paid hosting.
Now, let us look at the Disadvantages of Free Web Hosts (from business point of view)
- Limited space (even Blogger has space limits)
- You cannot have interactive features like chat rooms, forums, membership areas, games, etc. If you want these features you’ll have to use third party widgets or products which will slow down your website/blog.
- Search engines don’t take you seriously
- By hosting on a free platform you face credibility issues. However this can be overcomed by having quality and original content.
- These free hosting usually have banners and/or pop ads which are distracting your readers
- Long domains. (eg http://inpui.blogspot.com which was eventually shortened to inpui.com)
- There is also no guarantee that these free hosting sites will continue to be free. Most of them became paid hosting sites leaving many users shocked. In extreme cases people lost all their data.
- Except for Blogspot free hosts many free hosting companies will not give you branded emails like (firstname.lastname@example.org). In blogspot, you are given free Webmaster tool wherein you can create free email@example.com.
- The customer care support in free hosting are bad.
- Limited functions with many restrictions on uploading of scripts like php, etc.
We have listed some of the major reasons why you need a paid hosting, but don’t be disheartened if you have taken the free way. There are certainly few trusted and reliable service like Blogger.com (blogspot). Remember, if you are serious about making money online, it is always better to have at least a custom domain even if you decide to use free hosting services.